11/21/2021

Sunday morning:

More reflections, looking back to my arrival in Grays Harbor....1968

No Wynoochee Dam, no Bolt Decision, lots of hatchery salmon/steelhead, lots of wild Coho, Chinook, steelhead, Westport "Salmon Capital of the World", NT gill nets had the complete Chehalis--probably 50+ boats.

Wynoochee River and Chehalis River had spring Chinook, Wynoochee, Satsop, Humptulips all had wild steelhead, many over the 25# - 30# range, seasons on the Wynoochee and Satsop never closed until April 30, Humptulips had a 3 fish SH limit.

2021----Humptulips only Chinook fishery for sports, Coho and Chum legal for Chehalis, and tribs., fisheries are about closed because Wild Coho can't make escapement, Wild Steelhead, coast wide, are in danger, compared to 1968. Reasons for many of the problems....too many people wanta fish, commercial NT and Tribal, still allow to fish non-selective, guides, drifting craft and jet boats, have increased, from 1968 to present day, at an alarming rate. Technologies have improved, that fish can't hide anymore, fishing gear in general has improved leaps and bounds from 1968 days, now there is talk about 2/3 fishery per week. Sh!t and I don't know how to golf.......grrrrrrrrr

"I thought growing older, would take longer"