With salmon fishing winding down many of us have wondered just how the runs performed, so I asked. Mikes reply is below but everyone should remember this is simply a snapshot of what staff sees at this point in time. It can and likely will change as all the data is collected when things are finalized. Hope this information helps everyone with questions. Oh a thanks to Mike and Kim for always being willing to share information, it is appreciated.

We are not close to knowing how the runs are going to end up. Looks like some of the index reaches have lot of Chinook, while others not as much. Preliminary spring Chinook escapement is around 1,100, so much better than last year and the forecast. I think the fall Chinook numbers are going to be close to the goal, but we are still doing surveys. Coho is a conundrum. The relationship between the Wynoochee trap counts and end of season spawning escapement is pretty good. I can model the end of the season escapement by comparing the counts to date and expand to end of season using normal timing, and apply to the model. As of this week that model produces an escapement of between 37,000 and 40,000 natural spawners. However, other indicators point to smaller returns, commercial catch for instance. As for chum, preliminary counts suggest that the goal will be achieved. Sorry I can’t give you actual numbers, we are still counting. When we get things closer to final, we’ll send you a message. Hope this helps. Have a good weekend.

Edited by Rivrguy (12/07/19 11:24 AM)