Quote:
Are we able to have a steelhead C&R fishery on any tribal river without tribal commercial activity at the same time? Are trades available in the negotiating game to have such a fishery without nets participating?

RG I do not know exactly what you mean by a tribal river. We have a Summerrun Steelhead season and the QIN do not. Could we have a trib fishery such as the Wynoochee on marked mitigation Winter Steelhead with C&R on wild when numbers of wild do not allow a mixed stock fishery on the Chehalis? My initial thought is yes but I do believe that the comanagers would need to agree and I could be completely wrong.

You know that is a really good question though. Just to grab a year in 2020 the Wynoochee had a Winter Steelhead escapement of 748 and the escapement goal is 1260. Is 59% of wild escapement enough to allow a C&R ? I think in the future many fisheries will be faced with that question.

I would 100% agree with switching whenever possible to Summerrun as we have no natural spawner conflicts and this wild Steelhead thing is not going to go away. It makes no sense to produce a hatchery fish that you cannot harvest and looking forward has the high likelihood of getting worse before it gets better, if it ever does get better!