Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
I used to think I wanted more summer hatchery fish vs. Winters, but now I'm not so sure. The summer runs we have around now (granted, in pretty low numbers) are getting harder and harder to catch as the rivers trend lower and warmer. On the Nooch, they all pile into deep, slow corner holes that don't fish worth a hoot, and the spooky fish bite worse than the water fishes. Kind of the same for the Kalama anymore. The Cowlitz is a different story; I never understood why they cut back the summer plants there, because that WAS a pretty good summer fishery before then....

Time for a new hobby that gets me motivated to get out. Any ideas?

Good point but that's part of the fun/challenge. They still are a better fight and table fare. One thing I have noticed that most summer steelhead returns, return timing has changed? Used to catch lots more end of May into June when water flows were higher. Especially on the Kalama. I think the Skamania strain comes in early and the Kalama changed it's program away from them, to nurture original wild summers. Figures, they mostly wreck a good thing by changing what is working. Now, few start showing until the end of July into August when flows are low and fishing is tough? Some wait clear into Sept. when kings start showing and regulations change.
The Cowlitz just needs to put more numbers in. I'm talkin 1mil. TP to cheap to raise them anymore.
Not fishing for winters this season has given me time to tie more trout flys. I have been getting into the spring trout stillwater fisheries on the E. side flyfishing the last few years. Chironomids and balanced leeches are the ticket. Some big trout are around and a gas on a 3 or 5wt and they plant good numbers. Looking to get into trout stream flyfishing next. Bummer is it's all in ID and MT and mostly a summer/ fall fishery.

Edited by RUNnGUN (01/29/22 08:47 AM)