The thing about QIN numbers is they always showed a week or so after the fishing week. It is unusual for the QIN to be in their 3rd set and numbers not available for the first week. The QIN manage their fisheries for their people and no where do I remember seeing the word co managers utilized for the Chehalis Basin closures. It appears this was a WDFW thing and I imagine the NT commercials will also fish. TeamMontesano@dfw.wa.gov or James.Losee@dfw.WA.gov is how to reach James Losee or Kelly Cunningham in the concrete palace in Olympia as he is the harvest top dog.

Until we get the QIN numbers it difficult to bring reason into the discussion. The press release mentions harvest and concerns but remember this is WDFW and numbers do not appear to be of concern to the QIN in the Chehalis. Lacking the necessary information my gut says this is about a huge fish movement that stopped short. A rather substantial number of fishers descended on them with the usual bandits mixed in. The optics are bad to be sure but that is people and frankly with the preseason forecast recreational exceeding their catch enough to harm escapement in the Chehalis is pure BS.

After all that minus the QIN numbers we truly do not know what the run looks like and why WDFW and the QIN are setting on the tribal harvest numbers. One thing I do know local staff we interact with does not take actions like this but rather Region 6 Fish Program top gun Mr. Losee James.Losee@dfw.WA.gov and the infamous concrete palace in Olympia where Mr. Cunningham hangs out. Keep in mind these guys are not prone to coming forth and explaining their actions in a forthright manner as it usually involves smoke and mirrors.