Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
03/26/2021

bobrr:

You are just like many others, if you can't fish the fish YOU want to fish, then shut the rivers down.

There are fish, that YOU might not like to fish But many others enjoy the sport and table fare fresh and they are great smoked.......Jacks, Coho jacks.

Every year for the past 6 or 7 years, I go to all the NOF meetings.....listen to the fighting between NT and sports about how to divide the season, who gets what when and where.....I always stick around until the last part of the meetings just to get my say on "jacks", has it done any good????? Well, there doesn't seem to be a problem for those that enjoy "the catching".

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but it is a ACTIVE FISHERY for those of us that enjoy it.

Bobrr...sorry your season in the Chehalis was bad.....you and Melanie might have to "change how and where you fish", one of the best years I've ever had.

Oh by the way, many of the people I've met during the fishing season on the Chehalis, were 1st met jack fishing.....more than 40+ years, many still show every year, some are fishing in the "big river in Heaven"...... I'll be there soon enough!!!!!!
Actually, we did quite well overall, just nothing in the river. A good number of kings for a change. A nice one in the sound, a 1st for us in years, new area. So we do get around, just more then you know. I never said shut down the jack fishery, if that floats your boat, fine. I just think that the fish might as well get up the river untouched by anyone from Sept. 15th on if the river is closed at that time. That way lots of spawners rather then jacks will increase numbers overall. Lets face it, from Oct. on the guides take the majority of fish in the river 'cause they fish it day after day, with boats full of clients, upriver. Pain should be equally shared.

Actually, we did quite well overall, just nothing in the river. A good number of kings for a change. A nice one in the sound, a 1st for us in years, new area. So we do get around, just more then you know. I never said shut down the jack fishery, if that floats your boat, fine. I just think that the fish might as well get up the river untouched by anyone from Sept. 15th on if the river is closed at that time. That way lots of spawners rather then jacks will increase numbers overall. Lets face it, from Oct. on the guides take the majority of fish in the river 'cause they fish it day after day, with boats full of clients, upriver. Pain should be equally shared. Bob R

Edited by bobrr (03/27/21 07:18 AM)