I kinda feel the same way, Drifter, For a variety of reasons ranging from boredom to seasickness to a general lack of success I don't boat fish. Walk and wade, shore-based, etc. I grew up learning to fish and fishing small creeks and ponds. Maybe I am going through a forty-third childhood, but that's the fishing I want.

That said, one of the problems of resource management, both when I was there and now, is that there is too much demand and too much fishing power to give everybody what they want. It was rough enough when all we considered was dividing up between the I and NI, or US/Canada, or US/Canada/AK. The Canadians used to set allocations to fisheries. That is, the WCVI troll got 16.34% of the sockeye, the A20 seines got 22.31% and the A29GN got 31.39%. We have, here in GH, the outside sporties, bay sporties, lower river sporties, upper river sporties, and trib sporties that all want their share along with QIN, Chehalis, and the NIGN. And then we add in the SRKWs and pinnipeds who "get" a share. And, as Rivrguy will point out, no manager seems to give a rat's hiney for achieving escapement.

Long way of saying that, so long as demand exceeds supply, that a person must be able to manage against their own preferences to achieve the goals. As I said, I prefer upper river fishing for salmon but of there aren't any left to harvest then I can't argue for that fishery unless I can take them from somebody else who is willing to give them up.

All too often we manage based on the stakeholder's "needs". In my view, we should first meet the needs of the ecosystem. Then identify where surplus fish are and who gets them. This, of course, means that harvest gets planned from the river out instead of the ocean in, which will never fly. Hell, it probably won't even be allowed to stand upright.