Originally Posted By: seabeckraised
Some perspective from those that’ve seen these rivers for several decades would be great.

Are these conditions approaching historic levels? How did the salmon react in previous times? Just trickle in until at some point their biological clocks couldn’t wait anymore and then just a mad rush through shallow water? Any effect on the returns 3-4 years later?

Scenarios like this are what I wish WDFW had in mind when allowing a 2 fish non-select harvest on Coho this fall. Could really burn escapement if it gets bad enough.

In my 50+ yrs bummin around I have never seen the rivers so low this late in October. Has to be some kind of record low. 14 day forecast is more of the same. Not good! 210 cfs on the Hoh is unheard of. Have fished there many times in tidewater when it's low, but not that low. Might have to check it out. Good time to look at things you may never see again. Lots of other systems running in the 200-300's. The fish will rush shallow water if and when they are biologically forced. Can be an impressive sight to witness. Happens the most at low light or dark. I can understand the closures. It's the best choice right now. Visible lock jaw salmon bring out the worst in anglers. Seen it too many times, frustrated anglers resorting to illegal tactics. Nature has a way of predicting this and runs seem to compensate by having huge numbers available to spawn to perpetuate the species. You can bet the future returns will pay. Pray for rain! Sucks for hunting too!

Edited by RUNnGUN (10/06/22 05:28 PM)