Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

On the PM side about the preseason forecast, it was off. The key so far is that the run was under expectations but then the QIN & NT commercials harvest fell far short. Had the runs timing been normal ( rains moved the fish upstream early ) then commercial harvest would have blown escapement well to below what is required. If all remember the last time something like this happened the agency shut down the Rec inriver season. This year they navigated the issue differently and we seem to be coming out OK. Frankly from my point of view this years approach is the better of the two. Never been a fan of harvest wide open in marine, QIN & NT commercial, then things look off nail the inriver Rec for conservation. Just cannot buy that approach.

As people who fish more in the actual salt rather then the river these days I will say that I totally agree. I would rather have a shorter and tighter limited season on the salt if projections are falling short rather then penalize river fishers later on in the season. Only fair and reasonable. Of course, some larger boat owners may disagree. Bob and Melanie