A couple of folks asked if we have any fishing going on in the Chehalis and yes as Sturgeon fishers have been out. Bit spotty I was told but if you’re in the right spot at the right time it has been interesting. I watched one guy duel it out for about a half hour before it got loose. Judging by the splashing I observed it certainly was not a keeper for sure.

Searun not much around here. When they joined the two agencies the new WDFW dumped all the Searun programs that old game had developed so it is a limited thing now. Some of the guys still fish for them and do all right but it is specific locations. Being of somewhat sound mind the locations they fish are best left being somewhere in the basin!

As to flows most tribs and mainstem are at or near record lows. Keeping in mind that the Chehalis is rain driven not snow it is ugly but not unusual in the historic sense. 50cfs in the mainstem of the Chehalis or tribs is nothing to the big picture. Now water temperatures and DO is another thing all together. The stress on the fish is substantial and will not get better any time soon. It will more than likely raise hell with the early part of the fall Chinook but it just depends on what the fish do. In the very dry early 90s the males came a little late but the female Chinook did not leave the bay until November. It is the wait and see thing.