Edit: This e mail thread is from the FTC library and is intended to show the internal WDF&W conversations but not endorse anything but rather further the discussion. The last post by Kirt is informative just as to how they came to the 45% mortality on normal gillnets and what was utilized to arrive at it.

Kirt Hughes response is the last post in the e mail chain on net mortality.

For NT GN fisheries in WB and GH we are using 45%. The Nisqually used 50% last year and will end up near that for 2012. The 45% is a fairly long standing value that Flint identified based on the work Vanderhagen did on the Columbia. Ashbrook was involved in some of that stuff at the end.

Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:04 AM
To: Barkdull, Brett C (DFW)
Cc: Phillips, Larry C (DFW); Hughes, Kirt M (DFW)
Subject: RE: Tangle net survival estimates

Hi Brett,

I'm not aware of any NOF wide agreed-to mortality rates for tangle nets. There was some work done about 10 years ago with tangle nets in Area 10 with the Suquamish Tribe, and I think there was something for the Nisqually fishery, and there must be some agreement on mortality rates for gill net release in Grays Harbor. So it might be worth while checking with Jay Zischke, Larry Phillips, and/or Kirt Hughes to see what was used for modeling in those areas.
Cheers

Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:05 AM
To: Barkdull, Brett C (DFW)
Cc: Thiesfeld, Steven L (DFW)
Subject: RE: Tangle net survival estimates

Yep, I’m sure you’ve seen those estimates. They are for spring Chinook released from tangle nets in the Columbia River just above the estuary. The caveats include: cold water, spring Chinook, freshwater. These are important because we were unable to make post-release survival estimates for fall Chinook and coho captured and released from Willapa Bay but the fish were in significantly worse condition at capture, and this indicates to me they did not survive as well. In the Willapa, the water was warmer, and the fish were in the midst of physiologic transformation in the estuary.
All that said, I think the estimate for you to use is the one that has been informed by my work and then gone through policy consideration –Steve Thiesfeld has a list with mortality values that are assigned so I’ve cc-ed him. Stevo, will you send Brett your list? If Steve doesn’t have tangle net info, then the post-release survival estimate based on my groups’ work is 86.2%. I attach the BPA report with this info and more provided. The table with post-release survival estimates and their confidence intervals is on p. 1-21. Also, in the appendix on p. 1-64, you’ll find a summary of the Willapa results.
Cheers!
Charmane

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:29 PM
To: Ashbrook, Charmane E (DFW)
Subject: RE: Sport Rules: Latest WAC changes and Trout Pamphlet Day

Hey, got an unrelated question for ya’ since you are the tangle net queen! LOL!

Somewhere, I have seen your estimates of tangle net mortalities on Chinook released. At least I think I have. I’m drawing a blank where to get those numbers. Got the paper you wrote handy or link or???? I’m lazy, and getting tired. Thanks, getting ready to do battle with Lummi!

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:28 AM
To: Bosworth, Aaron (DFW); Whitney, Jennifer L (DFW); Barkdull, Brett C (DFW)
Cc: Hoffmann, Annette (DFW)
Subject: FW: Sport Rules: Latest WAC changes and Trout Pamphlet Day

Here you go, Region 4 District Bios!

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:25 AM
To: Ashbrook, Charmane E (DFW); Frazier, Patrick A (DFW); Whalen, John T (DFW); Easterbrooks, John A (DFW); Warren, Ron R (DFW); Hughes, Kirt M (DFW); Korth, Jeff (DFW)
Cc: Long, John A (DFW); Bramwell, David R (DFW)
Subject: RE: Sport Rules: Latest WAC changes and Trout Pamphlet Day

You will want to sent the doodle pool to the Region 4 District Bio’s who know their rivers to look at these WAC’s. So, please include them in these emails (Aaron Bosworth, Jenni Whitney, Brett Barkdull).

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:59 AM
To: Frazier, Patrick A (DFW); Whalen, John T (DFW); Easterbrooks, John A (DFW); Hoffmann, Annette (DFW); Warren, Ron R (DFW); Hughes, Kirt M (DFW); Korth, Jeff (DFW)
Cc: Long, John A (DFW); Bramwell, David R (DFW)
Subject: Sport Rules: Latest WAC changes and Trout Pamphlet Day

Hi Everyone,
Here is the document that will be given to the Commission for this weekend’s rule adoption. I expect the Commission may have a few tweaks before it is filed as the CR103. At next Monday’s meeting and in a follow up email, I will update you regarding any changes.

Regarding the trout pamphlet day –please decide which of your staff will attend and have them fill out the Doodle Poll (http://www.doodle.com/md3htu9n7umf37eb) by this Friday. I’ll plan to announce the day of the meeting at next Monday’s meeting and send a follow up email that includes the date and who will be attending by region. Or, if none of the dates on the Doodle Poll work, please let me know what weekends work and I’ll follow up on Monday with a weekend plan.

The objectives for this meeting are 1) to get all the gamefish rules in the pamphlet; 2) to improve the pamphlet and pamphlet process; and 3) to have all gamefish rules in the pamphlet before the NOF pamphlet weekend. Please know that I have heard from many people, including regional staff, that this meeting is much needed. We are going to try and improve efficiency by making changes in “real time” with meeting rules that include 1) focus on content and not format until the end and 2) where there are disputes, one person will be the lead for determining and instructing Dave about the change. Dave plans to send the pamphlet draft in mid-February to help provide everyone prep time.

Thank you for all your help,
Charmane

Charmane Ashbrook
ESA Response, Scientific Collection Permits and Sport Rules Unit Leader
Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife
360-902-2672
[i][/i][color:#C0C0C0][/color]

Edited by Rivrguy (04/02/13 03:32 PM)