The Tribes have a right to 50% of the harvestable fish. Period. I believe that steelhead are combined (H&W, W&S) for allocation purposes. Release mortality counts. So, if a C&R fishery is modeled to kill 100 fish, the Tribes (and this is all the tribes that might encounter them) get 100 fish to put in the boat.

That said, the State and Tribes can negotiate whatever they want, as shown by the PS allocations where the Tribes are generally ahead. I am reminded of a Phil Anderson comment when asked why the NI recs could not C&R in the Hoh when they had allocations left. He said "We got the fishery we wanted" so I suspect that a lot of trading goes on. I suspect that State prefers open days on the water to dead fish in the boat.

In GH, given that the NI share of salmon (except chum) is weighted to the ocean I suspect that allocating most of a Summer Steelhead return to rec and most of the Winter Steelhead to the Tribe (for incidental in salmon net fisheries) might be workable.

But, it would take a very transparent process with offered trades clearly elucidated.