Originally Posted By: Lifter99
Salmo, If memory serves me right (which is sometimes questionable) I thought many years ago the steelhead plant on the Cowlitz was about 1 million winter steelhead smolts and 750,000 summer steelhead smolts per year. I know it is less now.

I broke out my old Statewide Steelhead Harvest reports from as far back as 1983-84. Most include smolt plant info. I did find only one year, 1992, where the Cowlitz planted 1,224,400 winter steelhead smolt. Summer, 463,900. The other years, up to 2010, averaged around 700,000 winter and 500,000 summers. I realize many places have quit planting steelhead smolt, hence the overall reduced production, but many rivers are planting about the same as they always have. SG is correct. Survival to return seems to be the major problem. A good start to assist survival, would be to manage predators better. That is a fact! Predators have increased exponentially the last 35 yrs, impacting both smolt and adult returns.