These comments to the Commission on the GHMP are authored by another individual ( who hangs out around here ) and a great example of just plain zeroing in on making sure the new plan can not be manipulated as the present one. Damn good job if I say so myself.

Draft Recommendation 5 states:

“ WDFW-managed commercial fisheries in the Grays Harbor Basin shall have the following impact limits:

Areas 2A, 2B, 2D: impact rate of less than 0.8% on Chehalis fall Chinook.

Area 2C: impact rate of less than 1.2% on Humptulips fall Chinook.”

This recommendation appears to be over specified or at least can be interpreted in several ways. It is important to understand that all areas contain both Chehalis fall Chinook and Humptulips fall Chinook, especially area 2C. As an example this recommendation could mean that when fishing in 2C the harvest will be capped at 1.2% Humptulips Chinook plus 0.2% of the comingled Chehalis Chinook. Then the 2A/2D fishery could still include another 0.8% of the Chehalis Chinook run plus another .02% of the Humptulips run. The actual numbers would be determined by using coded wire tag data in each area. This recommendation could also mean that all fish caught in 2C are Humptulips fall Chinook capped at 1.2% of the Humptulips run. This would also overharvest the Chehalis fall Chinook.

I would recommend the following modification to recommendation 5.

“ WDFW-managed commercial fisheries in the Grays Harbor Basin shall have the following impact limits:

Areas 2A, 2B, 2C, and 2D combined shall have an impact rate of less than 0.8% on Chehalis fall Chinook and less than 1.2% on Humptulips fall Chinook.”

Edited by Rivrguy (01/18/14 01:35 PM)