That policy of favoring boat owners for the sake of economics will eventually contribute to the future reduction of participation in the sport. How many of you started out as a youngster/teenager owning a boat to fish? In my day it started from the bank/shore then progressed with age and lack of physical agility, to a boat. I started out bobber fishing for trout at our local lakes and ponds as an 8yr old. Progressed to plunking the lower Puyallup as a 10 yr old with my Grandpa. Fished Steelhead hard during Christmas and spring breaks. Set the foundation of my future interest in the sport. Was a bank maggot through my teens until learning to row a drift boat @ age 20. Still loved to root around the bank especially small streams. Soon I purchased my own and was happy for years until the crowds became unbearable. At the same time became a power boat hoar for years, going with friends in their boats. Finally age slowed me down and I purchased my own through today.
We have already witnessed the decline in youngins Steelhead participation related to the river closures and other restrictions. Salmon bank fishing the rivers is the last opportunity to keep the interest going. When or if those numbers disappear I fear, we as recs, will lose what leverage we currently have, which isn't much.