Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
It is WDFW monies that they have the choice on what happens. I think maybe even Nooch mitigation is something to look at.

Summerrun Steelhead are a viable opportunity to do things differently just as using Aberdeen Lake Hatchery to do substantial Chinook production.
By altering our harvest interest we can do things that benefit fishers both tribal and non tribal.
Additionally Summerrun Steelhead done properly would in the 400k smolt range would provide huge opportunities.

400k summers!!! That would be bigger than huge! I remember back in 2009 the Nooch got an excess summer run plant of 142k. Normal = 50-60k. The summer of 2011 was lights out! Limits every trip! Sport harvest over 2100 almost triple the norm.
Another example of excessive summer plants was out of the Skamania Hatchery in 1987. IHN broke out in the hatchery so they kept and released all 300k in the Washougal. 1989 and 1990 returns off that set records. In 1990, 8000+ returned to the hatchery, 5600 harvested. I got in on that for 2 yrs worth and it was double digit hookups every float from the park to the bowling ally. A short float.
I think you could split that Nooch 400k and put half in the Hump. God that would be fun!

Edited by RUNnGUN (01/23/22 09:50 AM)